Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
'The Noctuids are members
of the Superfamily
Noctuoidea. Worldwide in distribution, this family
is the largest in the Lepidoptera and has approximately 20,000 species. About 2,900 of these are found in North America, and there is wide variation
and behavior. Most moths are gray to brown in color and have line
or spots on their wings
. Some species are brightly colored
. They are small to large in size, and most species are medium-sized with wingspans 2 - 4.5 cm. When at rest, adults
of most species hold their wings above their bodies like a roof. Noctuids are typically nocturnal
, though some species are diurnal
. Most larvae feed
on plant foliage
, dead leaves, lichens, and fungi; many are serious forest
pests. Some species are leaf miners, others are stem- or leaf-borers, and still others feed at night on plant shoots. Noctuid moths pupate in cells
in soil, in plant cavities, or in silk
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,658 meters (0 to 8,720 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- Order: Lepidoptera () - Linnaeus, 1758 - Butterflies and Moths
- Superorder: Amphiesmenoptera ()
- Cohort: Myoglossata ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Members of the genus Amphipyra
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A descriptive catalogue of the Dobree collection of European Noctuae / compiled by Horace B. Browne. Hull, England; A. Browne & Sons, 1909. url p. 132, p. 133.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 410.
- A handbook of British Lepidoptera, by Edward Meyrick. London, Macmillan, 1895. url p. 114, p. 114.
- A natural history of British moths. .. / by the Rev. F.O. Morris. London: H. E. Knox, 1871. url p. 54.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 363.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 34, p. 51.
- Arboretum et fruticetum Britannicum; or, The trees and shrubs of Britain, native and foreign, hardy and half-hardy, pictorially and botanically delineated, and scientifically and popularly described; with their propagation, culture, mana London, Henry G. Bohn, 1854. url p. 1821.
- Bibliography of the more important contributions to American economic entomology. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1889-1905. url p. 88.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url , p. 102, p. 104, p. 132, p. 57, p. 71, p. 97, p. 98, p. 99.
- British moths and their transformations. London: W. Smith, 1843-45. url , p. 151.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1907 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 163.
- Catalogue of eastern and Australian Lepidoptera Heterocera in the collection of the Oxford University Museum, by C. Swinhoe. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1892-1900. url p. 14.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 495.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. CambridgeUniversity Press1908-14 url p. 495.
- Catalogue of the Lepidoptera Phalænæ in the British museum. London: Printed by Order of the Trustees, 1898-19. url p. 28.
- Check-list and bibliography on the occurrence of insects in birds' nests. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 268, p. 346.
- Distribution and origin of life in America, by Robert Francis Scharff New York, Macmillan, 1912 url p. 214.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 90.
- Essex naturalist: being the journal of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex, The Club. url p. 164.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 102.
- Illustrations of British entomology; or, A synopsis of indigenous insects: containing their generic and specific distinctions. By James Francis Stephens. London:Printed for the author; published by Baldwin and Cradock, 1828-1835. url p. 200.
- Insects. Ottawa: T. Mulvey [etc.], 1919-1920. url p. 114, p. 131.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 316.
- Larva collecting and breeding: a handbook to the larvae of the British Macro-Lepidoptera and their food plants: both in nature and in confinement, with authorities / by J. Seymour St. John. London: W. Wesley, 1890 url p. 128.
- Larvae of owlet moths (Noctuidae): biology, morphology, and classification / by O.I. Merzheevskaya; George L. Godfrey, scientific editor; [translated from the Russian by P.M. Rao]. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1988. url p. 256, p. 257.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 23.
- List of Yorkshire Lepidoptera. [By] George T. Porritt. .. London, A. Brown & Sons, ltd., 1904. url p. 100.
- List of the specimens of the British animals in the collection of the British Museum / [edited by J.E. Gray] LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees1852- url p. 80.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 603, p. 603.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 272, p. 66.
- Newman's entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1869-1876] url p. 159, p. 208, p. 379.
- Polskie pismo entomologiczne = Polish journal of entomology = Bulletin entomologique de Pologne Warszawa [etc.]Panstwowe Wydawn. Naukowe. url p. 166.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url , , p. 107, p. 11, p. 114, p. 115, p. 115, p. 150, p. 23, p. 25, p. 26, p. 28, p. 29, p. 36, p. 42, p. 5, p. 55, p. 57, p. 65, p. 76, p. 88.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url p. 220.
- Proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng]: South London Entomological and Natural history Society, [1897-1933] url p. 10, p. 38, p. 7, p. 79.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 539, p. 539, p. 707.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 152.
- Rambles of a naturalist round Folkestone: with occasional papers on the fauna and flora of the district, to which are added lists of plants, lepidoptera, birds, and land and freshwater shells / by Henry Ullyett. Folkestone: J. English, 1880. url p. 144.
- Report of the proceedings of the. .. Entomological meeting Calcutta;Superintendent government printing, India, 1917-24. url p. 1102.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 315, p. 350.
- The American entomologist. St. Louis: R.P. Studley & Co., 1868-1870. url .
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 476, p. 67.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 263.
- The British noctuæ and their varieties / by J.W. Tutt. London: Swan, 1891-1892. url p. 37, p. 40.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 27.
- The Entomological magazine. London: Frederick Westley and A.H. Davis, 1833-1838 url p. 158, p. 158, p. 42.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url , p. 119, p. 119, p. 16, p. 23, p. 253, p. 27, p. 294, p. 38, p. 38, p. 98.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url , , , , , , , , , p. 106, p. 107, p. 112, p. 116, p. 117, p. 123, p. 132, p. 133, p. 133, p. 134, p. 14, p. 140, p. 140, p. 144, p. 147, p. 158, p. 158, p. 159, p. 160, p. 161, p. 167, p. 17, p. 171, p. 174, p. 185, p. 187, p. 194, p. 197, p. 199, p. 201, p. 204, p. 216, p. 223, p. 227, p. 230, p. 24, p. 240, p. 244, p. 245, p. 249, p. 261, p. 262, p. 263, p. 265, p. 268, p. 27, p. 279, p. 295, p. 333, p. 333, p. 35, p. 359, p. 52, p. 61, p. 68, p. 71, p. 73, p. 73, p. 73, p. 74, p. 8, p. 85, p. 86, p. 91, p. 91.
- The Entomologist. London: Edward Newman, 1840- url , p. 390.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url , , , , , , , p. 10, p. 10, p. 112, p. 112, p. 113, p. 114, p. 128, p. 128, p. 131, p. 133, p. 141, p. 145, p. 145, p. 146, p. 149, p. 15, p. 157, p. 157, p. 158, p. 162, p. 170, p. 185, p. 198, p. 198, p. 198, p. 204, p. 22, p. 226, p. 226, p. 228, p. 228, p. 23, p. 23, p. 23, p. 233, p. 233, p. 25, p. 251, p. 256, p. 266, p. 272, p. 277, p. 279, p. 279, p. 280, p. 280, p. 286, p. 287, p. 289, p. 302, p. 302, p. 313, p. 314, p. 367, p. 46, p. 47, p. 5, p. 5, p. 51, p. 52, p. 53, p. 56, p. 57, p. 63, p. 67, p. 68, p. 68, p. 70, p. 70, p. 85, p. 86, p. 87, p. 9, p. 90, p. 91, p. 93, p. 96.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 109, p. 119, p. 35, p. 37, p. 62.
- The Journal of microscopy and natural science. [London: W. P. Collins, 1884- url p. 34.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 667.
- The Lepidoptera of the British Islands: a descriptive account of the families, genera, and species indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland, their preparatory states, habits, and localities / by Charles G. Barrett. London: L. Reeve, 1893-1907. url , , , p. 272.
- The Macrolepidoptera of the world; a systematic description of the hitherto known Macrolepidoptera, ed. in collaboration with well-known specialists. Stuttgart: Seitz'schen (Kernen), 1906- url p. 158.
- The Naturalist. 1893 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 188.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 470, p. 562, p. 583, p. 782.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 104.
- The Victoria history of the County of Hertford / edited by William Page. London: Published for the University of London, Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall,  url .
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 196.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 161.
- The genitalia of the group Noctuid of the Lepidoptera of the British Islands. An account of the morphology of the male clasping organs. By F. N. Pierce. .. Liverpool, A.W. Duncan, 1909. url p. 78.
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 162.
- The insect fauna of the genus Crataegus. .. Ithaca, 1922 url p. 1133.
- The moths of the British Isles / by Richard South. London; Frederick Warne & Co., [1920?] url p. 323.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 256.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 100.
- To the snows of Tibet through China. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1892. url .
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 239.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 168.
- Veröffentlichungen der Zoologischen Staatssammlung München. 2 1951 München: Die Staatssammlung, url p. 41.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 8077.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 16, 2008:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- University of Helsinki, Department of Applied Biology, European Moth Nights
- inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn, inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2976461
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Lep-262153.0
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 5112155
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 631089