Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Cock of the plains , cock of the plains, Greater sage grouse, Greater Sage-grouse, sage chicken, sage cock, sage grouse, sage hen, spiny-tailed pheasant, Western Sage Grouse
Common Names in French:
Tétras des armoises
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Japanese:
Species Centrocercus urophasianus
: 22 inches · Large, rounded-winged, ground-dwelling,
chicken-like bird · Long, pointed
tail · Immature
female but paler · Legs
are feathered to base
· Yellow comb over eye · Blackish-brown throat and v-shaped mark on neck separated by white · White breast · Grayish nape, back and upperwings stippled with white · Black belly · Two olive-green air sacs inflated when displaying
· Buffy throat with black markings · Lower throat and breast barred with blackish-brown · Gray-brown plumage mottled with white and darker brown · Dark belly
It is closely associated with sagebrush Artemesia habitats
during the breeding and non-breeding seasons
, although some populations
do undergo seasonal movements2,3. It is a lekking
species. It may act as an umbrella
to other sage-brush specialists
List of Habitats:
- 3 Shrubland
- 3.4 Shrubland - Temperate [more info]
- Breeding Habitat : Successional-scrub
- Nest Location: N/A
- Nest Type: N/A
- Clutch Size: 7-13
- Length of Incubation : 25-27 days
- Days to Fledge : 7-10
- Number of Broods: 1
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Bateson, 1885
- Cuvier, 1812
- Jawed Vertebrates
- Goodrich, 1930
- Linnaeus, 1758
- Gauthier, 1986
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Pycraft, 1900
- Sibley et al., 1988
- Temminck, 1820
- Suborder: Phasiani () - Vigors, 1825
- Order: Galliformes () - Temminck, 1820
- Superorder: Galloanserimorphae () - Sibley et al., 1988
- Cohort: Neognathae () - Pycraft, 1900
- Infraclass: Aves () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758)
- Subclass: Avialae () - Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Aves () - Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda () - Goodrich, 1930
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata () - auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata () - Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata () - Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia () - (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Centrocercus urophasianus (Bonaparte, 1827) • Centrocercus urophasianus phaios Aldrich • Centrocercus urophasianus urophasianus (Bonaparte
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 08-Jun-2005
The Gunnison Sage-Grouse is very similar but has a different range. The large size, grayish plumage, long pointed tail, and black belly eliminate all other grouse species.
Members of the genus Centrocercus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A List of birds' eggs in the collection of Mr. William Stoate, Wembdon, Bridgewater. [188-?] url p. 31.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds with notes on the distribution of the species / by Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B.: J. McMillan, 1887. url , p. 53.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds, By Montague Chamberlain. Saint John, N.B., J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url p. 130, p. 130, p. 53, p. 53.
- A catalogue of Canadian birds: with notes on the distribution of the species / Saint John, N.B.: J. & A. McMillan, 1887. url , .
- A catalogue of the birds of Kansas. By N.S. Goss. Published under the direction of the Executive council. Topeka, Kansas Publishing House, 1883. url p. 24.
- A check list of North American birds. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url p. 94.
- A check list of North-American birds by Elliott Coues. Salem, Mass.: F.W. Putnam, 1879. url .
- A dictionary of birds, London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 802, p. 93.
- A dictionary of birds, by Alfred Newton, assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker. .. Charles S. Roy. .. and Robert W. Shufeldt. .. London, A. and C. Black, 1893-1896. url p. 802, p. 802, p. 802, p. 93, p. 93.
- A distributional list of the birds of Montana, with notes on the migration and nesting of the better known species, by Aretas A. Saunders. Berkeley, Calif., The Club, 1921. url p. 187, p. 59.
- A faunal survey of the Centennial Valley Sandhills, Beaverhead County, Montana / [prepared by Paul Hendricks and Michael Roedel]. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url .
- A geographical and comparative list of the birds of Europe and North America / by Charles Lucian Bonaparte. London: J. Van Voorst, 1838. url p. 44.
- A hand-book to the game-birds / by W.R. Ogilvie-Grant. London: E. Lloyd, 1896-1897. url p. 66.
- A hand-book to the game-birds. By W.R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, Edward Lloyd, Ltd., 1896-1897. url p. 66, p. 67.
- A history of North American birds / by S. F. Baird, T. M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1905. url , p. 320, p. 429, p. 430.
- A history of North American birds Boston, Little, Brown and Co., 1874. url p. 597.
- A history of North American birds land birds / by S. F. Baird, T.M. Brewer, and R. Ridgway. Boston: Little, Brown, 1874. url p. 429.
- A history of the birds of Colorado, London, Witherby & Co., 1912. url , .
- A list of the genera of birds: with their synonyma and an indication of the typical species of each genus / by George Robert Gray. London: Printed and sold by R. and J.E. Taylor, 1841. url p. 80.
- A manual of North American birds by Robert Ridgway. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1887. url .
- A manual of North American birds. By Robert Ridgway. Illustrated by 464 outline drawings of the generic characters. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Company, 1887. url .
- A manual of North American birds. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1900. url .
- A multi-scale analysis linking prairie breeding birds to site and landscape factors including USGS GAP data / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2007. url .
- A preliminary review of the birds of Nebraska, with synopses, Omaha, 1904 url , .
- A revised catalogue of the birds of Kansas: with descriptive notes of the nests and eggs of the birds known to breed in the state / Pub. under the direction of the Executive Council, May, 1886. Topeka: Kansas Publishing House, 1886. url p. 20.
- A study of the incubation periods of birds; what determines their lengths, Denver, Col., The Kendrick-Bellamy Co., 1917. url .
- A systematic list of the birds of California / by Joseph Grinnell. Hollywood: Cooper Ornithological Club, 1912. url p. 10.
- American bird magazine, ornithology. Worcester, Mass.: C.K. Reed, 1903-1906. url p. 216.
- American game bird shooting. New York, Orange Judd Co., 1882. url .
- American game birds, Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1912. url , p. 53.
- American game birds, by Chester A. Reed. .. illustrating more than one hundred species in natural colors. Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1912. url p. 53.
- American game-bird shooting, by George Bird Grinnell. .. with colored plates of ruffed grouse and bobwhite, forty-eight full-page portraits of game birds and shooting scenes, and many cuts in text. New York, Forest and stream publishing company[c1910] url p. 272, p. 272.
- American ornithology, for home and school. [Worcester, Mass.: Charles K. Reed], 1901-. url p. 216.
- Animal life in the Yosemite; an account of the mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians in a cross-section of the Sierra Nevada, by Joseph Grinnell and Tracy Irwin Storer. .. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1924. url , , p. 17, p. 17, p. 274, p. 274, p. 744, p. 744.
- Animate creation; popular edition of "Our living world" a natural history, by the Rev. J. G. Wood. Revised and adapted to American zoology, by Joseph B. Holder. .. New York, S. Hess[c1885] url p. 489.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 572.
- Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York. New-York: 1824-1876. url p. 415.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 217, p. 217, p. 248, p. 248, p. 61.
- Annual report of the Bureau of Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: G.P.O., 1881-1897. url p. 1051.
- Annual report of the Nebraska State Horticultural Society. Lincoln, Neb.: The Society. url p. 168, p. 83.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 20.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 14.
- Annual report. United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 1st-12th, 1867-1878. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1867-83. url , p. 465, p. 62, p. 654, p. 690, p. 699.
- Assessment of the Red Rock River subbasin and wetlands of the Centennial Valley / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2009. url p. 13.
- Audubon and his journals, New York, C. Scribner, 1897. url .
- Biennial report of the Montana Fish and Game Commission. Great Falls, Mont.: Tribune Print. Co., [1927?] url p. 78.
- Biennial report, Montana Game and Fish Commission, State of Montana. Helena, Mont.: Independent Pub. Co., 1913- url p. 78.
- Big sagebrush shrub-steppe postfire succession in southwest Montana / Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2005. url .
- Bio-ecology, by Frederic E. Clements. .. and Victor E. Shelford. .. New York, J. Wiley & Sons, inc.;1939. url p. 401.
- Biology: concepts and applications / Cecie Starr. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Pub., c1997. url p. 735, p. 791.
- Bird guide...east of the Rockies, by Chester A. Reed. New York, Doubleday, Page & Co., 1910. url p. 188.
- Bird guide: water birds, game birds and birds of prey / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1916, c1910. url p. 188.
- Bird notes afield; a series of essays on the birds of California, by Charles A. Keeler. San Francisco, D.P. Elder & M. Shepard, 1899. url p. 266.
- Bird notes afield; essays on the birds of the Pacific coast with a field check list, by Charles Keeler; illustrated with reproductions of photographs. San Franciso and New York, P. Elder and company[1907, c1906] url p. 158.
- Birds / by A.H. Evans. London: Macmillan, 1899 (1909 printing). url p. 234, p. 595.
- Birds / by Spencer Fullerton Baird; with the co-operation of John Cassin and George N. Lawrence. Washington, D.C., 1858. url p. 624.
- Birds and nature in natural colors: being a scientific and popular treatise on four hundred birds of the United States and Canada. Chicago: A.W. Mumford, Publisher, 1913-1914. url p. 882.
- Birds in Kansas / Max C. Thompson & Charles Ely. 1 Lawrence, Kan.: University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History: c1989- url p. 173, p. 397, p. xi.
- Birds of America; editor-in-chief, T. Gilbert Pearson; consulting editor, John Burroughs; artists, R.I. Brasher, R. Bruce Horsfall [and] Henry Thurston. New York, The University Society, 1923. url p. 29.
- Birds of California: an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies / Chicago: A.C. McClurg, 1912, c1903. url , .
- Birds of California; an introduction to more than three hundred common birds of the state and adjacent islands, with a supplementary list of rare migrants, accidental visitants, and hypothetical subspecies, Chicago, A.C. McClurg, 1916. url , .
- Birds of Oregon, by Ira N. Gabrielson. .. and Stanley G. Jewett. .. Corvallis, Or., Pub. by Oregon State College through the O.S.C. Cooperative Association[c1940] url , p. 217.
- Birds of South Dakota. By William H. Over and Craig S. Thoms. Vermillion [!]: University of South Dakota, 1920 [i.e. 1921] url p. 77.
- Birds of South Dakota. Vermillion, University of South Dakota, 1920 [i.e. 1921] url .
- Birds of Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks / [United States]: Yellowstone Library and Museum Association in cooperation with National Park Service, U.S. Dept. of Interior, [19--] url , .
- Birds of eastern North America, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Company, 1912. url .
- Birds of the Colorado Valley: a repository of scientific and popular information concerning North American ornithology / by Elliott Coues. Washington: G.P.O., 1878. url p. 617.
- Birds of the Northwest: a hand-book of the ornithology of the region drained by the Missouri River and its tributaries / by Elliott Coues. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1874. url p. 400, p. 401.
- Birds of the Rockies, by Leander S. Keyser... with eight full-page plates [four in color] by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; many illustrations in the text by Bruce Horsfall, and eight views of localities from photographs; with a c Chicago, A. C. McClurg and co., 1902. url p. 320, p. 320.
- Birds of the United States east of the Rocky Mountains; a manual for the identification of species in hand or in the bush, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Co.[c1898] url .
- Birds of the world for young people, New York, F.A. Stokes Company url .
- Birds of the world; a popular account. With a chapter on the anatomy of birds, by Frederic A. Lucas; the whole edited by Robert Ridgway. New York, Holt, 1909. url p. 22, p. 289, p. 852.
- Birds that hunt and are hunted: life histories of one hundred and seventy birds of prey, game birds and water-fowls, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url .
- Birds that hunt and are hunted; life histories of one hundred and seventy birds of prey, game birds and water-fowls, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page, 1912 [c1904] url .
- Birds; a miscellaneous collection of 37 pamphlets about birds. Collected and privately bound by Alvin Seale, 1914. v.p., 1910-1913 url p. 39, p. 61.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 9 1967 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 100, p. 2, p. 21, p. 28, p. 6, p. 68.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url , p. 111, p. 131, p. 1815, p. 224, p. 227, p. 300, p. 311, p. 41, p. 462, p. 481, p. 58, p. 646, p. 72, p. 79, p. 94, p. ix, p. xii.
- Bulletin / Peabody Museum of Natural History. 1972 New Haven: Peabody Museum of Natural History, url p. 111.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 67.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Biological Survey. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1907. url , p. 23.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 158, p. 176, p. 292, p. 624.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 214.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 16, p. 186, p. 31, p. 34.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 3 1872 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 170, p. 181.
- Bulletin of the Nuttall Ornithological Club. Cambridge, Mass.: The Club, [1876-1883] url p. 197, p. 246, p. 96.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 183, p. 225, p. 54.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 206, p. 245, p. 548, p. 818, p. 822, p. 823, p. 84, p. 893.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 11, p. 16, p. 186, p. 21, p. 24, p. 31, p. 34, p. 39.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 394.
- Catalogue of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden, 1904. url , .
- Catalogue of Canadian birds, by John Macoun. .. and James M. Macoun. .. Ottawa, Government printing bureau, 1909. url p. 233.
- Catalogue of Canadian birds. .. Ottawa, Printed by S. E. Dawson, 1900-04. url .
- Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands in Field Museum of Natural History and including all species and subspecies known to occur in North America, Mexico, Central America, South America, the West Indies, and islands of the Caribbean Sea, the Galapagos Archipelago, and othe 13 1942 Chicago, 1918- url p. 224.
- Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum. London, 1874-98. url p. 558, p. 80, p. 81.
- Catalogue of the Collection of Birds' Eggs in the British Museum / By E. W. Oates [and afterwards] by S. G. Reid [and] W. R. Ogilvie-Grant. London, 1901-12. url p. 28.
- Catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs in the British museum (Natural history). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1901-12. url p. 28.
- Chamber's encyclopaedia, a dictionary of universal knowledge. London, Chambers, 1902. url p. 434.
- Check list of British Columbia birds. Victoria, B. C., R. Wolfeenden, Printer to the Queen, 1891. url .
- Check-list of North American birds / prepared by a committee of the American ornithologists' union. Lancaster, Pa.: The Union, 1931. url p. 440, p. 87.
- Check-list of North American birds, New York, American ornithologists' union, 1910. url .
- Check-list of North American birds. [Ithaca, N.Y.]1957. url p. 139, p. 680, p. 689.
- Check-list of North American birds: the species of birds of North America from the Arctic through Panama, including the West Indies and Hawaiian Islands / prepared by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Orni Lawrence, Kan.: American Ornithologists' Union, 1983. url p. 139, p. 802.
- Check-list of birds of the world. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1931-1987. url p. 42.
- Checklist of British Columbia birds, by John Fannin. Victoria, B.C., Printed by R. Wolfenden url p. 21.
- Color key to North American birds, with bibliographical appendix, by Frank M. Chapman. .. with upwards of 800 drawings, by Chester A. Reed, B.S. New York, D. Appleton & Company, 1912. url p. 269, p. 269, p. 336.
- Contributions to North American ethnology. Vol. I-VII, IX. [Ed. by J.W. Powell] Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1877-93. url p. 273, p. 363.
- Distribution of the land vertebrates of southeastern Washington, by Lee Raymond Dice. Berkeley, University of California press1916. url p. 300, p. 301.
- Draft programmatic environmental assessment for candidate conservation agreement with assurances and associated permit for fluvial Arctic grayling in the upper Big Hole River, Montana. Helena, Mont.: Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, 2005 url .
- Elementary zoology / by Vernon L. Kellogg. New York: H. Holt and company, 1902. url p. 350, p. 475.
- Ethnozoology of the Tewa Indians, by Junius Henderson and John Peabody Harrington. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1914. url p. 34, p. 34.
- Fauna boreali-americana, or, The zoology of the northern parts of British America: containing descriptions of the objects of natural history collected on the late northern land expeditions, under command of Captain Sir John Franklin, R.N. / by John Richardson, surgeon and naturalist to the expeditions; assisted by William Swainson and the Reverend William Kirby. London: J. Murray [etc.], 1829-1837. url , p. 342.
- Field and forest. [Washington: Columbia Press, 1875-1878]. url p. 209.
- Field notes on amphibians, reptiles and birds of northern Humboldt County, Nevada, with a discussion of some of the faunal features of the region, Berkeley, University of California Press, 1912. url , , .
- Fishery circular / U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Fisheries. [Washington]: The Bureau, 1931-1939. url p. 12.
- "Forest and stream" bird notes. An index and summary of all the ornithological matter contained in "Forest and Stream." Vols. I-XII. Compiled by H.B. Bailey. New York, Forest and Stream, 1881. url p. 37.
- Forest and water / Los Angeles: Post Pub. Co., 1900. url .
- Game birds and birds of prey life histories of one hundred and seventy birds of prey, game birds and waterfowls / by Neltje Blanchan; with introduction by G.O. Shields (Coquina). Toronto: G. Morang, 1898. url p. 285.
- Game birds and game fishes of the Pacific Coast, by H. T. Payne. With ready reference diagrams of each family, giving the scientific and common names of each genus and species, their relationship, breeding grounds and general range. Los Angeles: News Publishing Co., [c1913] url p. 51.
- Game birds. Life histories of one hundred and seventy birds of prey, game birds and water-fowls Garden City, N.Y.Doubleday, Page, 1922, c1917. url .
- Game birds; life histories of one hundred and seventy birds of prey, game birds and water-fowls, by Neltje Blanchan [pseud.] Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1922. url p. 285.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1976 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 228.
- Guide to taxidermy, by Chas. K. Reed and Chester A. Reed. Illustrated by drawings and photographs of mounted specimens by the authors and Mr. N. F. Stone. Worcester, Mass., C.K. Reed, 1914. url p. 257.
- Guide to the Gallery of Birds in the Department of Zoology, British Museum (Natural History). London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1921. url p. 32.
- Guide to the gallery of birds in the department of zoology, British Museum (Natural History) London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1921. url p. 32.
- Handbook of birds of the western United States: including the Great Plains, Great Basin, Pacific Slope, and lower Rio Grande Valley / by Florence Merriam Bailey. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1915, c1902. url p. 133, p. 504.
- Handbook of field and general ornithology; a manual of the structure and classification of birds, London, Macmillan, 1890. url .
- History of the birds of Kansas. By N. S. Goss. Illustrating 529 birds. Topeka, Kan., G. W. Crane, 1891. url p. 661, p. 661.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 128, p. 155, p. 229.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 97.
- Journal of morphology. Boston: Ginn & Co., [1887-1924] url p. 308.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 534.
- Key to North American birds. Containing a concise account of every species of living and fossil bird at present known from the continent north of the Mexican and United States boundary, inclusive of Greenland and Lower California Boston, Estes and Lauriat, 1896. url , p. 107, p. 213, p. 577, p. 883.
- Land birds of the Pacific district / by Lyman Belding. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url p. 19.
- Land birds of the Pacific district, San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, 1890. url , .
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url p. 261, p. 29.
- Life histories of North American birds: with special reference to their breeding habits and eggs / by Charles Bendire. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1892-1895. url p. 106, p. 428.
- List of the specimens of birds in the collection of the British Museum / [by G. R. Gray.] London: printed by the order of the Trustees, 1844-1867. url p. 87.
- Management plan and conservation strategies for sage grouse in Montana - final / [Montana?]: The Group,  url , , , , , , , .
- Middle Missouri River wildlife study: Federal aid to fish & wildlife restoration project FW-3-R, jobs 1-B & 1-C / prepared by Kerry Constan & Dan Hook (Ecological Services Division). [Helena]: Montana Dept. of Fish, Wildlife & Parks,  url p. 14.
- Montana wildlife / Montana Fish and Game Department official publication, Information-Education Division. Helena, Mont.: The Division, url p. 25.
- Montana's comprehensive fish and wildlife conservation strategy / Helena, Mont.: Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, 2005 url , .
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 106, p. 170, p. 189, p. 236, p. 246.
- Natural history. A manual of zoölogy for schools, colleges, and the general reader / By Sanborn Tenney. New York: Scribner, Armstrong & co., c1872. url .
- Natural history: a manual of zoology for schools, colleges, and the general reader / by Sanborn Tenney. New York: Charles Scribner & Co., 1865. url p. 237.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 747, p. 747.
- Nests and eggs of North American birds, Philadelphia, D. McKay[c1900] url .
- Nomenclature of North American birds chiefly contained in the United States National Museum. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1881. url .
- North American birds eggs, by Chester A. Reed...illustrating the eggs of nearly every species of North American birds. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1904. url p. 337.
- North American birds eggs. New York: Dover Pub, . url p. 337.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 122, p. 222, p. 248, p. 31, p. 37, p. 386, p. 85, p. 93.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 19.
- Ornithological bibliography. [Washington: Geological Survey [etc.], 1878-1880. url p. 817, p. 822, p. 823.
- Ornithologist and oo?logist Pawtucket, R.I. url .
- Ornithology. edited by S.F. Baird, from the manuscript and notes of J.G. Cooper. [Cambridge, Mass., University press] pub. by authority of the Legislature [of California]1870. url p. 536.
- Osteology of birds, by R.W. Shufeldt. Albany, University of the State of New York, 1909. url p. 170, p. 203, p. 236, p. 246.
- Our feathered game; a handbook of the North American game birds, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1903. url .
- Our national parks, Boston, Houghton, Mifflin and Company, 1901. url p. 214.
- P.D. Skaar's Montana bird distribution / revised by Susan Lenard. .. [et al.]. Helena: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2003. url p. 3.
- Pacific coast avifauna / Cooper Ornithnological Club of California. Santa Clara, Calif.: The Club, 1900-1974. url p. 10, p. 158, p. 158, p. 187, p. 194, p. 23, p. 30, p. 41, p. 43, p. 59, p. 61, p. 8, p. 8, p. 83, p. 83.
- Parental care and its evolution in birds. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1952. url p. 195.
- Part I. Palæontology. By F. B. Meek. Part II. Palæontology. By James Hall and R. P. Whitfield. Part III. Ornithology. By Robert Ridgway... Washington, Govt. print. off., 1877. url p. 342, p. 366, p. 383, p. 600.
- Plant and animal resources and ecological condition of the Hanging Woman Basin in Big Horn County, Montana and Sheridan County, Wyoming / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2003. url .
- Portraits and habits of our birds, prepared by various authors, ed. by T. Gilbert Pearson, illustrated with colored plates, by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, R. Bruce Horsfall, Edmund J. Sawyer, and Allan Brooks; also. ..photographs and drawin 2 1921 New York city: National association of Audubon societies, 1920- url p. 364.
- Post-fire recovery of Wyoming big sagebrush shrub-steppe in centeral and southeast Montana/ Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2007. url .
- Potential wildlife-highway interactions at select mile-markers along Montana Department of Transportation routes an ArcView GIS analysis / Bozeman, Mont.: Fish and Wildlife Management Program, Montana State University, 2001 url , , .
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 23, p. 23, p. 40, p. 40, p. 94.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url , p. 288.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 296, p. 766.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 288.
- Proceedings of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. Lincoln, [1900-15] url p. 26, p. 70.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 196.
- Proceedings. Salem, Mass.(1856-70) url p. 288.
- Productive farming; or, A familiar digest of the recent discoveries of Liebig, Johnston, Davy, and other celebrated writers on vegetable chemistry; showing how the results of tillage might be greatly augmented. By Joseph A. Smith. New York, D. Appleton & Co., 1843. url p. 425.
- Report number I, the natural resources survey of the Conservation and Natural Resources Commission of New Mexico. Santa Fe, N.M.: New Mexican Printing Co., 1911. url p. 23.
- Report of a reconnaissance from Carroll, Montana Territory, on the upper Missouri, to the Yellowstone National Park, and return, made in the summer of 1875 / Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1876. url .
- Report of the Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel, made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869 / Washington: Government Printing Office, 1870-1880. url p. 366, p. 375, p. 383, p. 384, p. 591, p. 653.
- Report of the Geological exploration of the fortieth parallel made by order of the Secretary of War according to acts of Congress of March 2, 1867, and March 3, 1869, under the direction of. .. A.A. Humphreys, chief of engineers, by Clarence King, U.S. geologist Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1870-80 url p. 363, p. 384, p. 600.
- Report of the United States Entomological Commission. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1878-90. url p. 283, p. 47.
- Report of the geological exploration of the fortieth parallel / Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1870-80 url , p. 363, p. 366, p. 375, p. 384, p. 600.
- Report on bird migration in the Mississippi valley in the years 1884 and 1885 / Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1888. url , .
- Report upon United States Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian / Washington [D.C.]: G.P.O., 1875-1889. url p. 437.
- Report upon the ornithological collections made in portions of Nevade, Utah, California, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona, during the years 1871, 1872, 1873, and 1874, by H.W. Henshaw. Washington, D.C., 1875 url p. 437, p. 979.
- Reports of explorations and surveys, to ascertain the most practicable and economical route for a railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean. Washington, A. O. P. Nicholson, printer [etc.]1855-60. url .
- Research on fish and wildlife habitat / technical editor, William T. Mason, consulting editor, Sam Iker. Washington, D.C.Office of Research and Development, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1982. url p. 175.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 306, p. 307.
- Sites of the reserve phase: Pine Lawn Valley, western New Mexico / [by] Paul S. Martin [and] John B. Rinaldo. [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1950. url p. 492.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url , p. 106, p. 233, p. 420, p. 440.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 2 1862 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 12, p. 196, p. 52, p. 53, p. 58.
- Special bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1892- url p. 106, p. 420, p. 440.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 15, p. 601.
- Sport & travel, East and West. London, Longmans, 1901. url p. 258.
- Surveys for grassland birds of the Malta Field Office-BLM, including a seven-year study in north Valley County / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2008. url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 12.
- Tetraonidae and phasianidae of the USSR: ecology and morphology / M.A. Kuzmina; scientific editor Douglas Siegel-Causey; [translators, P.M. Rao and D. Siegel-Causey]. Washington, D.C.: National Science Foundation, 1992. url p. 139.
- The American grouse and their identification. Milwaukee, 191- url p. 240, p. 588.
- The American natural history; a foundation of useful knowledge of the higher animals of North America, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1914. url .
- The American oologists' exchange price list of North American birds' eggs, 1922 / compiled by a committee of twenty-five prominent American oologists. Lacon, Ill.: R. Magoon Barnes, 1922. url p. 56.
- The Auk. Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union, etc., 1884- url p. 10, p. 10, p. 105, p. 110, p. 147, p. 165, p. 17, p. 181, p. 181, p. 182, p. 204, p. 214, p. 227, p. 232, p. 258, p. 260, p. 302, p. 345, p. 345, p. 35, p. 367, p. 395, p. 402, p. 409, p. 420, p. 428, p. 436, p. 436, p. 44, p. 461, p. 464, p. 466, p. 466, p. 516, p. 518, p. 528, p. 54, p. 630.
- The Canadian bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred north American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Toronto: Musson Book Co., c1914. url p. 188, p. 453.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , , , p. 108, p. 156, p. 161, p. 178, p. 195, p. 212, p. 247, p. 25, p. 257, p. 270, p. 308, p. 310, p. 33, p. 34, p. 400, p. 479, p. 480, p. 60, p. 666, p. 681, p. 685, p. 686, p. 690, p. 690, p. 692, p. 693, p. 702, p. 740.
- The China or Denny pheasant in Oregon, with notes on the native grouse of the Pacific Northwest, written and illustrated by William T. Shaw Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott Co., 1908. url , .
- The Coues check list of North American birds [Elliott Coues]. Boston: Estes and Lauriat, 1882. url .
- The Great Basin naturalist. 54 1994 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url drut, crawford & gregg, page 170, fig. 3, page 176, musil, reese & connelly, page 228, reynolds, page 255, klott & lindzey, page 275, p. 293, sveum, crawford & edge, page 344, ellis, parrish, murphy & richins, page 404, p. 454, p. 479, p. 521, p. 525, p. 577, p. 67, p. 68, p. 731.
- The Oregon naturalist. Oregon City, Or.: Naturalist Pub. Co., url p. 143.
- The Riverside natural history. Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and company[c1888] url p. 15, p. 209.
- The Statement of the Permanent Wild Life Protection Fund. New York, N.Y.: The Fund, 1915- url p. 211, p. 91.
- The University of Colorado studies. Boulder, University of Colorado. url p. 135.
- The Warbler. Floral Park: Mayflower Pub. Co., [1903-1913] url p. 78.
- The Wilson bulletin. Columbus, OH: Wilson Ornithological Society url , p. 4, p. 62.
- The bird book, illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds, also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs, Worcester, Mass., C. K. Reed, 1914. url .
- The bird book: illustrating in natural colors more than seven hundred North American birds; also several hundred photographs of their nests and eggs / by Chester A. Reed. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1915. url p. 188, p. 453.
- The birds of Colorado / Fort Collins, Colo.: State Agricultural College, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1897. url , , .
- The birds of Fergus County, Montana / by P. M. Silloway. Lewistown, Mont.: Press of the Argus, 1903. url p. 25, p. 73.
- The birds of North America: one hundred and nineteen artistic colored plates representing the different species and varieties drawn and colored from nature: including a copious text giving a popular account of their habits and 1903 New York: Published under the auspices of the Natural Science Association of America, 1903. url .
- The birds of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the higher groups, genera, species, and subspecies of birds known to occur in North America, from the Arctic lands to the Isthmus of Panama, the West Indies and other island Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1901- url , , .
- The birds of Wyoming / By Wilbur C. Knight. Laramie, Wyo.: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1902. url p. 111, p. 366.
- The birds of Wyoming, with an explanation of recent changes in their distribution; economic aspect also considered. By B. H. Grave and Ernest P. Walker. [Laramie]University of Wyoming, 1913. url p. 40.
- The birds of Wyoming. [Laramie, Wyoming Experiment Station]1902. url , .
- The code of nomenclature and check-list of North American birds adopted by the American Ornithologists' Union; being the report of the Committee of the Union on Classification and Nomenclature. New York, 1886. url p. 176, p. 176, p. 176.
- The condor. Santa Clara, Calif.: Cooper Ornithological Club, [1900- url p. 161, p. 243.
- The continent we live on. Photos. by Eliot Porter [and others] New York: Random House,  url .
- The gallinaceous game birds of North America including the partridges, grouse, ptarmigan, and wild turkeys; with accounts of their dispersion, habits, nesting, etc., and full descriptions of the plumage of both adult and young, together with the by Daniel Giraud Elliot. London: Suckling, 1897. url .
- The game birds of California / Berkeley: University of California Press, 1918. url , .
- The game birds of California. .. by Joseph Grinnell, Harold Child Bryant and Tracy Irwin Storer. 1918 Berkeley, University of California Press, 1918. url p. 564, p. 615.
- The natural history of Washington territory, with much relating to Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oregon, and California, between the thirty-sixth and forty-ninth parallels of latitude, being those parts of the final reports on the survey of the N By J. G. Cooper, M. D., and Dr. G. Suckley. .. This edition contains a new preface, giving a sketch of the explorations, a classified table of contents, and the latest additions by the authors. With f London, Baillière brothers, 1859. url p. 222.
- The natural history of game-birds. Illustrated by thirty-one plates, coloured; with memoir and portrait of Sir T. Stamford Raffles. By Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh: W.H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1844. url , p. 162.
- The naturalist in Vancouver Island and British Columbia. By John Keast Lord. .. London, R. Bentley, 1866. url , p. 298, p. 298, p. 92.
- The naturalist's library. Conducted by Sir William Jardine. Edinburgh, W. H. Lizars; [etc., etc.]1833- url , p. 162.
- The new natural history. New York, Merrill, c1901. url p. 2171.
- The oologists' hand-book: 1885 catalogue of American birds' eggs, and oological supplies, with prices at which they may be obtained of / Frank H. Lattin. Rochester (N.Y.): John P. Smith, Printer, 1885. url p. 43.
- The royal natural history / edited by Richard Lydekker; with preface by P.L. Sclater; illustrated with seventy-two coloured plates and sixteen hundred engravings by W. Kuhnert, F. Specht, P.J. Smit, G. Mützel, A.T. Elwes, J. W London and New York: Frederick Warne & Co., 1893-1896. url p. 403.
- The royal natural history. With pref. by P. L. Sclater. Illustrated with 72 col. plates and 1600 engravings. London, F. Warne, 1893-96. url p. 403.
- The sportsman's gazetteer and general guide. The game animals, birds and fishes of North America: their habits and various methods of capture. Copious instructions in shooting, fishing, taxidermy, woodcraft, etc. Together with a glossary, and a New York, Orange Judd Companyu, 1883. url .
- The standard catalogue of North American birds eggs. Albion, N.Y., F.H. Lattin, 1892. url p. 20.
- The world's birds a simple and popular classification of the birds of the world, by Frank Finn. With over 50 illustrations from photographs (mostly taken from living specimens) and outline figures in the text. London, Hutchinson & co., 1908. url p. 45, p. 45.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 67.
- Transactions of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 15 1969 [San Diego]: The Society, 1905-1989. url p. 168.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 236.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 301, p. 333, p. 340, p. 362, p. 432, p. 438.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 1 1947 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url p. 200, p. 609.
- Upland game birds / by Edwyn Sandys and T. S. Van Dyke; illustrated by L. A. Fuertes, A. B. Frost, J. O. Nugent, and C. L. Bull. London: Macmillan & co., ltd., 1904. url p. 420.
- Upland game birds, London, Macmillan & Co., Ltd., 1902. url , , , , .
- Upland game birds, by Edwyn Sandys and T. S. Van Dyke; illustrated by L. A. Fuertes, A. B. Frost, J. O. Nugent, and C. L. Bull. London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1902. url p. 107, p. 210, p. 420, p. 420.
- Vertebrate life / Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, c1996. url p. 593.
- Wyoming birds and their value to agriculture, Laramie, Wyoming, 1916. url .
- [Appletons'] annual cyclopaedia and register of important events of the year: 1876-95. New series. New York, D. Appleton, 1877-96. url p. 388.
- BirdLife International 2004. Centrocercus urophasianus. In: IUCN 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. www.iucnredlist.org . Downloaded on 21 October 2006.
- BirdLife International 2004. In IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCNRedList.org. Downloaded July 18, 2008.
- BirdLife International 2008. Centrocercus urophasianus. In: IUCN 2011. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloadedon 31January2012.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 06, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 8 providers.
- Hines, J. E., Gregory Gough, J. R. Sauer, et al. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.2. . Downloaded on January 28, 2012.
- Peterson, Alan P. Zoological Nomenclature Resource. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Sauer, J. R., J. E. Hines, and J. Fallon. 2005. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, Results and Analysis 1966 - 2004. Version 2005.2. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Sauer, J. R., S. Schwartz, and B. Hoover. 1996. The Christmas Bird Count Home Page. Version 95.1. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD
- Species At Risk Act Public Registry, Government of Canada
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal March 06, 2008:
- Avian Knowledge Network: eBird
- Avian Knowledge Network: Great Backyard Bird Count
- Canadian Biodiversity Information Facility: Provincial Museum of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada. Birds (Aves)
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Canadian Museum of Nature Bird Collection
- Museum of Vertebrate Zoology: Terrestrial vertebrate specimens
- New Brunswick Museum: NBM birds
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History: Santa Barbara Musem of Natural History
- UCLA-Dickey Bird Collection (UCLA-Dickey): Bird specimens
- University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ): Bird specimens
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 11935
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-175855
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13749327
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 175855
- IUCN ID: 198463
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: ABNLC12012
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 7243