1. Radial, a bony or cartilaginous support for a fin ray or spine. Usually three - the proximal, middle and distal radials. If the proximal radial is notably larger it is spoken of as a basal. Teleosts have only one row of radials between the fin rays and the supporting skeleton and these are called actinosts.
6. Japanese term for sliced fish, especially tuna, usually with soy sauce and green mustard; - served raw as a delicacy, eaten immediately after preparation.
7. In the Philippines, shrimp paste made from very small crustaceans, sun-dried for one day, ground and pounded for two more days, then formed into cylinders or cubes.
8. According to the Code, a general term for the determination of a name-bearing type whether by original designation, by indication, or by subsequent designation.
11. (prefix) Outside, outer, external.
12. Prefix meaning all, universally.
13. Minute hairlike processes that often form a fringe.
14. Meaning one, single (prefix).
1. The discharge that occurs in a natural channel; usually used to describe the discharge in a surface stream. The term streamflow is more general than the term runoff, as streamflow may be applied to discharge whether or not it is affected by diversion or regulation.
2. A method of catching fish by throwing a net over them. The net opens in the air to a diameter of about 2 m and sinks rapidly because of weights attached to its margin.
3. From a surface buoy a vertical drop line is positioned alongside underwater pinnacles in depths to 2,500 m. Bluenose, grouper and bass are taken on the lower part of the line which has numerous baited hooks attached.
4. According to the Code, (1) any demonstrably intentional change in the original spelling of an available name, other than a mandatory change; (2) an available name formed by intentionally changing the original spelling of an available name unless the change is mandatory.
5. According to the Code, a list, arranged in a particular order, of the names or subjects in a work, usually with references to the pages on which they are treated.
9. Towards an axis running antero- posteriorly through the middle of the fish; central. Opposite of radial.
10. Caviar substitute made from salmon eggs.