We live with products that can be dangerous for cats in our house, such as chocolate, paracetamol, or some flowers. Find out which substances you should keep away from and how to act in case of intoxication.

Poisoning in cats

Suppose there is a quality that characterizes a cat. In that case, that is its curiosity, and this can sometimes play tricks on it because the consumption of certain foods, even small amounts, or plants can cause intoxications in cats that lead to serious health problems.

In the same way, using medicines without veterinary prescription is an excellent risk since sometimes we use too high doses of human medicine medicines that can have harmful effects on cats. Equally toxic can be other products that we all usually have stored in a rich house in the house that cats do not resist entering, whether they are insecticides, paints, disinfectants, cleaning products.

Most of these products contain substances, enzymes, and chemicals that, to a greater or lesser extent, can be toxic to our pets since their body is not prepared to metabolize them. They can cause symptoms that range from vomiting, sneezing, or difficulty to appear: breathing, seizures, general weakness, or loss of consciousness. If we do not act in time, the situation can worsen.

Next, we will mention the home poisonings that our kittens suffer most frequently since knowing them will allow you to avoid certain unnecessary risks. Sometimes it is not easy, and our cat will be the victim of poisoning. Don’t worry. In the end, we will explain the steps to follow so that you know what to do in case your kitten gets intoxicated.

Homemade food poisoning in cats

We cannot offer our cats a series of homemade foods as they are toxic to their health. Among them, we have garlic, onion, chocolate, macadamia nuts, raisins, and grapes :

Garlic and onions

They are incredibly toxic in kittens, with a small amount causing severe anemia and life-threatening heart and respiratory rhythm disturbances.

The chocolate

For your feline, the purer it is, the more toxic it is, being lethal for a three-kilo cat with a dose of 18 grams of pure chocolate. In the first 12 hours after consumption, the symptoms that will make us suspect its dangerous binge appear vomiting, diarrhea, nervousness, cardiovascular disorders, fever, seizures, coma, and death.

The candies

They contain xylitol, which is a sugar substitute. When consumed in excess, it can cause a rapid release of insulin, producing a state of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) that, maintained over time, can be fatal for our furry pet.

Grapes and raisins

They can cause alterations in the kidney, and it is known that avocado, as for dogs, is very toxic, so it is not recommended to offer it to cats.

Homemade meals

In general, they tend to have too much salt, seasonings, or sugar, which is not beneficial for cats, so you should avoid giving them. Although it is evident, neither alcohol nor coffee should be offered as both are very dangerous.

Preserves

It is known to all that cats like fish. Well, feeding it exclusively with cans of tuna can cause cardiorespiratory problems because canned tuna lacks taurine, an essential amino acid in the diet of these animals.

Fishbones and bones

These cat foods are not toxic, but you should also avoid them in your cat’s diet if you do not want to have gastrointestinal problems such as fecalomas (hard stools) or intestinal obstruction.

Milk in adult cats

In the same way, milk, and all its derivatives, should be avoided once the cat becomes an adult. However, with age, they lose the enzymes that digest the lactose in milk, and its consumption can cause digestive discomfort and even intolerances.

Poisoning in cats

Cat poisoning by drugs for human use

Sometimes we think that using a drug that improves our health can also benefit our cat, but in reality, we are making a big mistake that can have fatal consequences for our pet.

Paracetamol is an anti-inflammatory pain commonly used to alleviate headache, joint inflammation, or fever. Still, if we manage it, our cat can cause severe anemia or renal failure because it lacks drug-metabolizing enzymes. 

By administering a single quarter of a 650 mg paracetamol tablet (which is the most common pharmacological presentation used in medicine), we exceed the toxic dose with an average weight of 3 kilos.

Acetylsalicylic acid is the active substance in aspirin. It is one of the anti-inflammatories that we use the most, it is straightforward to acquire it, and the lack of side effects in us makes us think that it will have no consequences if we give it to our sick cat. 

The problem with this drug is that the therapeutic and toxic doses in cats are very close, so its use is discouraged.

When a very high dose is administered, aspirin in a cat of the average weight of three kilos; for example, an acute picture can occur where depression, anorexia, fever, vomiting with blood, and increased heart rate appear. 

This situation leads to acute kidney failure, pulmonary edema, coma, and death. When smaller doses are offered, but for a longer time, the picture is chronic, with gastric ulcers that cause nausea and vomiting, toxic hepatitis, anemia, and coagulation disorders.